Marketing Your Pool Business
Marketing My Pool Business
When I started in the pool business I did not know much about marketing my business so I started with my brand concept. It was something that I could do that was inexpensive while I learned other aspects of marketing.
Here are the key things that I did that to market my pool business that not many pool guys do:
- Uniform: I ordered some red shirts and had them embroidered. The shirt and embroidery cost me about $18.00 per shirt. Then I bought some Dickey shorts because the material is strong and when I was handling the chlorine tabs they would not bleach the Dickey shorts. The reason I picked red is that I wanted to stand out. If someone saw me with a loud red shirt they would know it’s the pool guy. The other thing I wanted to do is always be the same so they would start to recognize me and I wanted to look professional. If you look at the pool service industry almost no one wears a uniform. I wanted that to be one of my advantages and it worked. I had a customer once come out to say hi because her friend was visiting her and came to her in a panic that there was a man in her backyard. She asked her friend “Is he wearing a red shirt”? her friend said yes, and here response “Oh that’s the pool guy”.
- Truck Sign: I wanted to put my company name and phone number on the truck. I wanted people to see me driving around and recognize me. I had some vinyl decals put on the truck with my name and phone number. It cost me about $100.00 bucks. I made sure it matched my shirt so that the logo on the truck was the same as the shirt. This really helped and was one of the cheapest marketing investments I made. I would get people at lights stop me and ask me if I would follow them to give them a quote. I also would be in a backyard cleaning a pool and I would get a call from a neighbor asking if I could look at their pool. You will definitely get lots referrals over time from this.
- Website: Remember that nowadays your website is almost like a business card. It allows people to look your business and see who you are. It gives them some information about your company and who you are. It establishes you as a real company and it gives them assurance that you are a legit company. On the website, I did the same thing and made sure that my logo was on there and that it matched my shirts and my truck logo.
- Business Cards: I created business cards that matched my logo and every time I did one of my pools and saw a neighbors pool I would leave a business card in their mailbox. Once I had let a business card I would wait about 3 or 4 weeks and leave another one. Remember that they might not need you when you drop off the card, but you never know if the following month they have issues with their pool or pool guy. If they do you want them to remember that they have seen your business card and think about you.
- When you are doing your marketing you always want your information such as logo, phone number, colors etc. to be the same. You want people to recognize you and create a recognizable brand. You are not just selling yourself you are also selling your company and you want to have brand recognition. Think of it this way. When you see a Nike Swoosh you don’t need to check to see if it is a Nike or get it confused with Addidas. You know its a Nike. That is what you are trying to duplicate. When you drop off a business card you want that person to see your business card and recognize your company from your truck, your shirt, your business card and your website.